Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Student, 18, charged with plotting deadly shooting at his Southern California high school -FundGuru
TradeEdge-Student, 18, charged with plotting deadly shooting at his Southern California high school
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 19:28:57
ONTARIO,TradeEdge Calif. (AP) — An 18-year-old student authorities say had researched school shootings and had an arsenal of guns at his home was charged Wednesday with planning to attack a Southern California campus.
Sebastian Villasenor of Eastvale was charged with five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats, the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement. He remained jailed.
It wasn’t immediately clear whether he had a lawyer to speak on his behalf. The DA’s office said it didn’t have information on whether Villasenor had representation but added that a lawyer would appear or could be appointed at his scheduled Thursday arraignment.
Investigators discovered that Villasenor “had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School” in Ontario, city Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference.
Ontario is 46 miles (75 kilometers) east of Los Angeles.
Villasenor, who didn’t have any criminal record, was arrested on Saturday after a classmate reported he “had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons,” the chief said.
School Principal Ben Dykhouse said he was grateful to God, the police and to the student “who was brave enough to say something when they saw something that was off.”
The police chief said Villasenor was “obsessed” with school shootings, researched tactical supplies and how long it would take police to arrive at the school and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
Police who went to Villasenor’s home found seven rifles, two revolvers, another handgun and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, Lorenz said.
Although he didn’t have a “hit list,” police believe that Villasenor was focusing on five Ontario students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students, the chief said.
Lorenz said investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.”
Lorenz said investigators believe Villasenor may have planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- The Chrysler 300 roars into the great car history books after a final Dream Cruise
- Muslim mob attacks 3 churches after accusing Christian man of desecrating Quran in eastern Pakistan
- Russia hits Ukrainian grain depots again as a foreign ship tries out Kyiv’s new Black Sea corridor
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Amid record-breaking heat, Arizona wildlife relies on trucked-in water to survive summer
- Questions raised about gunfire exchange that killed man, wounded officer
- Adele breaks down in tears as she reveals sex of a couple's baby: 'That's so emotional'
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Judge Scott McAfee, assigned to preside over Trump's case in Georgia, will face a trial like no other
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Lionel Messi tickets for Leagues Cup final in Nashville expected to be hot commodity
- When is the World Cup final? Everything to know for England vs. Spain
- Bacteria found in raw shellfish linked to two Connecticut deaths also blamed for New York death
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway cuts its stake in GM almost in half
- Inmates at California women’s prison sue federal government over sexual abuse
- New Jersey’s gambling revenue was up by 5.3% in July. The Borgata casino set a new monthly record
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
8 North Dakota newspapers cease with family business’s closure
Here’s How You Can Stay at Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis' Beach House
US wildlife managers agree to review the plight of a Western bird linked to piñon forests
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
'The Blind Side' subject Michael Oher is suing the Tuohy family. Many know the pain of family wounds.
Who did the Fulton County D.A. indict along with Trump? Meet the 18 co-conspirators in the Georgia election case
Arkansas school district says it will continue offering AP African American Studies course